Friday, November 21, 2008

Harmony ~




"The objective is not dogmatically to live with less but is a more demanding intention of living with balance in order to find a life of greater purpose, fullfillment and satisfaction."
Duane Elgin

I also found this definition of harmony ~ "compatibility in opinion and action"
and found it very fitting for where our family is at these days in relation to stuff and time ~ Trying to make sure our lifestyle fits our values and what we want to pass onto our kids...

Does 3 sets of bongos seem too many? I suppose this depends on if everyone wants to play at once and create great music together. Or, if our 8 year old wants to set them all up together and rapidly play away as he was doing this morning...

What about dolls? A basketful seems excessive but, they are literally *all* played with - daily.

Yet, I know they would also make do and be fine if we had less of these things ~ they would share what there was, take turns, maybe even learn a bit more patience? They would also improvise ~ that's a definite...

Then I come back to that quote above concerning balance. They do find fullfillment from playing bongos together rather than waiting for a turn...there is enjoyment in all of the roles created and mixed with a basket of various dolls...I keep in mind that the greater purpose of our home is to help everyone make sense of and find their way in this world (with some heaping doses of love) so as long as it remains fullfilling and not overwhelming I think we are on the right track...just don't peek at my sewing stash - that's a *whole* 'nother post ~

3 comments:

  1. thanks for your musings on simplicity. read duane elgin a long time ago and am always striving to be simple in person. there seems to be a natural ebb and flow to the receiving and giving that in the end balances us out so long as we are focused on balance as an internal/soulful experience.
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and I was wondering if you made all those adorable dolls??

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi elizabeth :)
    oh i wish! they are evo dolls - super cute little things huh?

    glad you enjoyed the elgin (again ;)

    ReplyDelete