
The other evening I had some time alone.
Without sewing.
Without running errands.
Without cleaning.
Just being.

It had been so long since I did, well nothing. It was only an hour and the majority of it was spent just feet away. Yet, that was all it took to be so restorative. The quiet. The calm. A minute or two to complete some thoughts that had been kicking around my head.

Only an hour and then I was ready to come back home. Before coming in, I stood in our driveway, leaning against our van for a bit listening to the pre-bedtime sounds drifting from the open window. Jazz music, organizing the tooth brushing ritual, the readying of pajamas... Simply put...I loved hearing it all. Such a different experience to hear it from the outside rather than being in the midst of the pre-bedtime frenzy. Somehow, it seemed so much calmer from that standpoint. Then I realized, it is that way (well, much of the time at least ;)..most of the frenzied feeling comes from me trying to get it all done and get them into bed. If I just placed myself in the moment and let go, I think I would feel that wash of gratitude I felt while leaning against our van. Gave me a little something to think about...

Like how our 5 year old gets super silly right before bedtime. It struck me, that's how she is choosing to connect with me, one last time before drifting off. This may not be the way I would choose for us, but it is the reality...and rather than trying to change it into something else (more calmer? more bedtime "appropriate"?) I could embrace it and connect. So on and so on for my other loves as well. I wonder how many moments I've slipped through, not seeing because I didn't recognize it. Just a little tweak in perspective I guess...
Oh! And our winner this week? Glad you asked!
Congrats mamak!
Send me a little note, writeus4@yahoo.com with your address and your picnic lunch will be on its way!
Thanks for playing along and I hope folks can come on over and play again next week as well!
it's truly profound isn't it? how if we can see to step back and just listen/observe we can connect in such a beautiful way...especially with our children.
ReplyDeletethank you for reminding me today!:D
and wow! I won the awesome give-away! How fun! And thank you so much!
K,I really needed to hear this about the connection! how true! honestly, I feel that sometimes there is no gravity holding me down, and perhaps, I need to connect with my loved ones more, and that connection, the rawness and fullness of it, will be my gravity.
ReplyDelete