
How long will this last that I will remember exactly the sound of her breathing... the smell of her sweet milk-breath?
What will mark the day that she no longer rests her baby-soft hand on my breast as she nurses?
When will the curve of her little body outgrow mine until she is sliding off my lap and running to her next adventure?
Where will we be when she doesn't stare into my eyes with complete openess as she does now?
These moments now are ones I want to savor, every second of them I am given but, sometimes just the business of life with many children doesn't always allow for that. There are bowls to be filled, cuffs to be rolled and books to be read aloud.
And all of that is joyous and beautiful too isn't it...yes, most precious in its own right. So I try to keep this thought in the back of my mind as I stare into the blue depths of this nursing baby's eyes that, not too long ago, cuff girl to my left and bookworm to my right as well as bowlboy at the table - were all this side of sweetness too. With this in mind, I catch what I can of this baby's sweetness and try to also be on the lookout for the preciousness in this day, these moments with these bigger babies. As I know that soon, cuffs won't need to be rolled, bowls will fill themselves and books will be read silently...yet, even then there will be preciousness of a different sort abounding in those days as well...and so on...and so on...
beautiful ko. just beautiful. i write this as my heavy, almost 2 y.o. sleeps in my arms.
ReplyDeleteThank you Kelly. Beautiful words for a beautiful time. Leah is now 6, Geneva almost 8, and Chris 19. I still catch glimpses, stop motion if you will, trying to spy into their souls, to understand and know them. And you are right, each time has it's own preciousness.
ReplyDeleteoh how that brought tears to my eyes. it is so easy to get lost in the business of life and forget to take a moment and remember how precious each moment it. bless you and your little one.
ReplyDeleteheather
Kelly - She is SOOO beautiful! But, then all your children are...
ReplyDelete