Monday, September 28, 2009

Dirty Livin'


These gals love dirt...and water...especially mixed together.


Lovin' the fall mud. No matter the season - anytime is a good time for some spontaneous, messy mud play.

Now, sometimes I wonder.."What must my neighbors think?". What, with our half painted and oh so tiny house, gaggle of children running about, home repair projects that never seem to end and, of course, my dirty, mud lovin' children in the yard.

One of which is just a babe.

Hmmm, what do they think? I am sure that some interesting classifications come up for folks who are inclined to do so. And God knows how many jokes about birth control I've heard over the years and how many sly winks I've caught out of the corner of my eye. So, yes... I may have an idea or two...

But then again, I also know that when people have talked to my husband and I, or our kids, or have witnessed our interactions with them or with each other...they've sometimes been a bit perplexed. Their classification system doesn't seem to apply. I think they try to squeeze us into one pigeonhole or another, but I think we manage to slip out of those tight spots sooner or later.

Then it totally slams me.

It. Doesn't. Matter.

Should I somehow be relieved one way or the other when we defy those social strata?

All the ideas we may have, those notions of being able to summarize someone by their parts. Such silly nonsense, really. How could any one attempt to summarize the entire existence of not just one individual but, even an entire family or group based on snippets? Still, this is often how our minds work. How we try to make sense of our environment, especially in our busy world.

Then there are the moments of hope that shine.

A simple exchange at the post office between 2 immigrants from vastly different countries and cultures, one young, one old - between them, a simple offer of a stamp so one would no longer need to wait in line. These are the snippets I choose to remember, that I try to collect. Snippets of the embracing spirit of love.

6 comments:

  1. I love it! This so closely resembles our family :)
    We too, have five kids. We too have home repair projects that never seem to end - or get done for that matter. If people could see our yard - which nobody can - they too would wonder at our kids as they play gleefully in the dirt or mud in various states of dress. Or they would wonder at our three year old swinging on our long rope swing wearing his Daniel Boone hat and his Tarzan costume screaming a Tarzan yell all the while.
    Oh, yes - we have heard all the jokes about birth control and the sideways glances. The winks out of the corner of the eye.
    But when anyone gets to know us, they are usually astounded that this passel of kids is anything but a wild bunch.
    We, as I am quite sure that you do, get many compliments on how well behaved and how well adjusted our "wild" family really is :)
    Thanks for this post and showing us that we are not the only ones that get these looks and comments!
    "Nosualcy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I'd much rather see kiddos dirty with sparlking eyes from playing in the mud, then clean but with blank eyes from staring at a screen all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post of yours! Mine love love the mud as well! Your pictures are great. I imagine often what the neighbors think of us as well. A bunch of hippies they must say to themselves!! lol
    xx so glad to have found your lovely place on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of the support ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat to find your blog. I just couldn't help mention how much this post reminds me of one I wrote awhile back. It must be the mud :)

    http://this-inspired-life.blogspot.com/2009/08/doing-real-things-all-day-long.html

    Off to read a little more!

    ReplyDelete